Publishing Word of the Day.
Last month the U.S. Postal Service published a notice that it was expanding expand the service area for the Flats Sequencing System (FSS).
But hours after Dead Tree Edition revealed that the obscure posting would inch up postal rates for publications and other flat mail, the USPS issued a statement entitled "Inadvertent Addition of New FSS Zones" that withdrew the change.
Some mailers were dubious, noting postal officials' come-hell-or-high-water approach to rolling out the Flats Screwing System regardless of the costs to the Postal Service or its customers.Those doubts were expressed in a highly unscientific poll that was recently conducted on Dead Tree Edition's Facebook page.
To the question, "How would you describe the recently withdrawn postal rate hike for flat mail?", 83% of respondents chose, "Inadvertent, my ass! Postal officials knew exactly what they were doing . The only thing that was inadvertent was that the USPS didn't mean to get caught and have to drop the change before it could even be implemented." The other 17% of the respondents chalked it up to incompetence or to the traditional meaning of "inadvertent."
What's clearly advertent is postal officials' desire to push up postal rates for flat mail more than is allowed under the current inflation-based rate cap.
This is the fifth in our 31-part Publishing Word of the Day series. Check back every day during July to experience the thrills and chills of cutting-edge publishing terms. Tomorrow's word: denialsizing.